At St Luke’s Academy, we have an internal careers advisor who manages and coordinates arrangements for effective careers education, information, and guidance for all of our students.
Students at St Luke’s Academy will receive:
- A structured programme of careers education from years 7 to 11 through the citizenship and community team and supported through Asdan (CoPE) course.
- Careers interviews with a careers advisor from year 9 upwards.
- Links with the local colleges and visits to post-16 sites.
- Support with college and apprenticeship applications as well as CV writing and references.
- A vocational curriculum that enables students to access and experience some of the trades available to them at college and in the world of work.
Moving forward, St Luke’s Academy will be establishing:
- Access to careers information, which all students use in their PHSE and Asdan lessons.
- Drop-in sessions for quick queries and help with research at break and lunchtimes through the community and citizenship team.
- We are in the process of establishing an independent careers advisor to support our students as they progress to post-16 education
Where it is possible and appropriate, students at St Luke’s Academy have the opportunity to complete work experience. This enables students to gain skills in a real-world work environment. As well as providing an opportunity for experience to be put on a student’s CV, work experience placements help them to develop their professionalism, interpersonal skills, and their problem-solving abilities.